5 Considerations before Replacing Roofs
Friday, July 28, 2017 0 comments
Whether you have endured a severe storm or simply need to replace an aged roof, there are several things that a homeowner should consider before starting a project.
- DON’T DELAY: If you have cracked or peeling tiles, or you are missing panels altogether, moisture could settle in leading to erosion and eventually water leaking into your home
- RESEARCH: roofing materials such as steel, asphalt, cedar, and stone-coat, will provide different returns on your investment. Always look at the performance of each product in different weather conditions and make sure you read the warranty! Products are not created equal: some products may cost more up front but will save you thousands of dollars in the long run
- INSURANCE: before selecting your roofing, consult with your insurance agent to determine the impact, if any, a specific material may have on your policy.
- RESEARCH BEFORE HIRING YOUR INSTALLER: Find a reputable contractor with experience installing the material you have chosen. Ask for references, talk to friends and neighbors, and people with nice roofs, to obtain their recommendations. Check with other resources including: the manufacturer, local distributors, websites like Homestars, Yellow Pages and online reviews. Ontario does not license installers, but Consumer Protection Ontario provides important information at https://www.ontario.ca/page/hiring-roofer
- WARRANTY: once again, read the product warranty. All warranties are not created equal. Read the fine print to really understand the warranty that comes with your choice so there are no surprises in the event of product failure.
After this, you will be well on your way to selecting and installing the best product to protect your most valuable asset - your home!
Check out our roofing products: