Questions To Ask a Roofing Contractor
Word of mouth and social media are two of the most common forms of finding the right contractor. This could either be by their advertisements, business profiles, or another person that is recommending their company. Social media is great for looking at past projects and seeing their reviews from past clients.
Once you have a few recommended roofing contractors, you should search their websites. This can give you more insight to the business and it’s their main marketing tool to show potential clients the materials they use, a gallery of projects, and more about the business.
Sometimes, word of mouth traffic can be biased, so you may not be choosing the right roofing contractor for your needs. Meet or do a phone interview with the prospected contractors to ensure you’re asking questions that will ease your mind knowing that you’re choosing the right company for the job.
Questions that you might want to ask are:
About the company:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you mostly work locally?
- How many people would be on the crew to work on my house?
- How much training do your crews have with this style of roofing?
- Do you have licensing and certification/insurance?
- Do I receive a warranty for both workmanship and material used?
- How is payment handled?
About past projects:
- What past customers can I talk to?
- Are there jobs in the area I can take a look at?
- What was your hardest project and why?
About the project:
- How long would this project take?
- How will you be accessing my roof?
- Will you be assessing my roof deck? (explain what a roof deck is to the homeowner) Are you stripping off all the old shingles?
- Would you be installing roof edge and drip edge?
- Will you be replacing all of the flashing, or re-using it?
- Would you recommend snow guards?
- How are the old materials going to be removed from the property?
- In the event of inclement weather, rain and/or snow, how would the crew react? How will you protect my house?
- Are you using ice and water shield – what type of underlayment do you use?
- How will you be quoting this project? How much roughly will it cost?
- Do you need access to my attic?
- How will you protect my landscaping?
These technical questions are just to guide you in the right direction. Don’t limit yourself to these questions, think of your own that may be more personal for you.
Determining which material to go on your roof is just as important as picking the right contractor. While we recommend our Bayview Roofing Collection, you can click here to see what styles of metal roofing we offer to suit your needs.
You can download our Bayview Roofing Collection Installation guide below.